This course has been approved by the Royal Society of Chemistry for purposes of Continuing Professional Development (CPD).
What will you learn on this course?
This course provides the theory of the GC and MS essential to any participant, along with the hands-on practical element in the laboratory to practice and re-enforce the theoretical knowledge. These courses are 50% theory and 50% practical in a lab environment.
This course addresses gases and plumbing, sample introduction, analytical columns, GC detectors (FID and ECD), mass-spectrometry and data analysis. The knowledge is then used to create methods, perform injections and change parameters to see the effects. The course discusses the need for maintenance along with practicals to carry out maintenance on both a GC and a GC-MS system such as liquid autosampler, inlet, columns, FID/ECD and quadrupole MS including tuning and ion source cleaning. A day is spent on troubleshooting a GC or GC-MS instrument and learning what problems can occur, with real problem solving on the instruments and data analysis software.
This course combines the five individual hands-on days covering Gas Chromatography, GC Maintenance, Gas Chromatography-Mass Spectrometry, MS Maintenance and GC-MS troubleshooting.
A FREE glossary on GC & GC-MS is provided with this course!
- You will learn the importance of good chromatography
- You will learn about the function & operation of the individual GC components
- You will become familiar with the GC instrumentation
- You will have practical experience of adjusting the parameters for each GC component
- You will have practical experience of performing maintenance on each GC components
- You will learn the principles of mass spectrometry
- You will learn about the function & operation of the MS individual components
- You will become familiar with the MS instrumentation
- You will have practical experience of adjusting the parameters for each MS component
- You will have practical experience of performing maintenance on each MS component
- You will learn the strategies for GC & GC-MS instrument troubleshooting
- You will have practical experience of GC & GC-MS instrument troubleshooting
Who is this course for?
This course is suitable for all levels of knowledge; however for complete beginners it is advisable to attend the 1-day Absolute Basics of GC & GC-MS first to get a good basic overview of gas chromatography and GC-MS.
If you would like to improve your knowledge in a particular area and don't want to attend a 5-day course you can choose to attend individual days from the Complete Hands-on GC & GC-MS course.
Special offers (discounts cannot be combined):
- Early Bird: Book at least 12 weeks in advance and receive a 10% discount for this 5-day course.
- Student: Discount of 10% for this 5-day course (valid student ID card required) if booked at least 4 weeks in advance.
- RSC Member: Discount of 15% for this 5-day course (membership number required) if booked at least 4 weeks in advance.
- Chromsoc Member: Discount of 10% for this 5-day course (membership number required) if booked at least 4 weeks in advance.
- Warwick alumni: Discount of 10% for this 5-day course (membership number required) if booked at least 4 weeks in advance.
- Group Discount: 4 colleagues from the same company can attend for the price of 3, when attending the same course.
Quotes from previous attendees
"Really clear and informative. (I enjoyed) practical hands-on." Mike Faulkner, PET Chemist, Siemens' PETNET Solutions (attended the Hands-on GC Theory & Maintenance, July 2016).
"Thorough, concise and relevent training, easy going atmosphere." QC Chemist, European engineering company (attended the Hands-on GC Theory & Maintenance, April 2016).
"Very Practical" Artem Krasnobaev, Wageningen UR (April 2016).
"(I enjoyed the) practical exercises and problems." Asel Shayakhmetova, Lab Analyst, Qatar Petroleum (April 2016).
"(I enjoyed) the practical aspects." Nigel Corn, R&D Chemist and SHE Manager, Vivimed Labs Europe Ltd (attended the Hands-on GC Theory & Maintenance, April 2016).
"(I enjoyed) the practical sessions." Hayley Guyatt, R&D Team, Centre for Ecology & Hydrology (attended the Hands-on GC Theory & Maintenance, April 2016).
"Course instructors were very knowledgeable and very helpful in answering questions. Explaining things more than once when needed" Engineer, UK Company (November 2015).
"Engagingly taught. We were able to have things explained in detail..." Chemist, Petrochemical Industry (November 2015).
"Good quality information, knowledge of presenters.” Naif Dakhil AlEnzi, Senior Pharmacist, Saudi Food & Drug Authority (February 2015).
"(I enjoyed) the practical aspect getting to see what has been taught further makes it interesting and practical problems." Lab Analyst, petrochemical industry (February 2015).
"Very good course. I have some experience in maintenance and have been able to improve on my skills." Chemistry Team Leader, personal care products company (February 2015).
"(I enjoyed) the knowledge of the instructors and the hands on approach. The ability to do some practical problems was also very insightful." QC Technician, silicones supplier (February 2015).
"Fantastic - especially for the practical aspects of running GC & GC-MS, as you provide lots of time for this. You need a week for the course (so better than other courses that squeeze this in to shorter periods). The hands on part of the course helped to reinforce the theory and enabled much better understanding of how to use the software, maintaining the instruments etc." Melia Burdon, Research Technician, University of Exeter (September 2014).
"It is an uncomparable course and I'll recomment it to my colleagues." Serag Alsahafy, Senior Chemist, Saudi Food & Drug Authority (September 2014).
"The course was very good and have so much information and I enjoyed the most the practical part." Senior Pharmacist (September 2014).
“Very good lab, very good teaching.” Mohamed Salih Ali Omar, Computer Engineer, Sudanese National Authority OPCW (June 2014).
“The great information and the method to explain everything. High knowledge of presenter, intelligent and smart presenter.” Fadia Abdullah AL-Duraihem, Lab Specialist, Saudi Food & Drug Authority (June 2014).
“I have enjoyed the course because the presenter Mr Imran is very good English speaker and has high skills in scientific interpretation.” Mohamed Omer Elhaj Saeed Aliyab, Chemical Engineer, Sudanese National Authority OPCW (June 2014).
“[I enjoyed] everything, especially troubleshooting. I think this is the best course I have been on.” Abdullah Al Khalaf from the Saudi Food and Drug Agency (March 2013).
“[I enjoyed] all of the course, especially troubleshooting.” Azaa Al Shamli, a Chemistry Specialist from the Royal Court Affairs (March 2013).
“[I enjoyed the] problem solving exercises both practical and on handouts, with the in-depth explanation of GC components and troubleshooting. [It had] more practical exercises I will actually use at work.” Chemist in the Environmental Industry who attended the Hands-on GC, Maintenance & Troubleshooting courses.