This course has been approved by the Royal Society of Chemistry for purposes of Continuing Professional Development (CPD).
What will you learn on this course?
This one day course is spent learning the theory behind Solid-Phase Micro-Extraction and how to modify samples to improve results, then using this knowledge to create SPME methods, analyse samples and experiment with parameters to see the effects.
This course will cover Headspace-SPME and Immersion-SPME, SPME phases, SPME instrumentation & set up and troubleshooting. It will introduce related techniques like SBSE, SPE-TD and SPDE.
- You will learn about and gain practical experience on how to use SPME as an automated sample preparation technique for GC-MS in great detail
- You will learn the fundamental theory of SPME
- You will learn about the types of samples that can be analysed using SPME
- You will learn about and gain practical experience in the various parameters that can be optimised for the technique to improve sensitivity
- You will set up and maintain the technique on an instrument
- You will learn about the individual steps of SPME
- You will learn the common troubleshooting problems in SPME
- You will learn the SPME tips and tricks
- You will learn about the benefits using SPME in the analysis of your samples
Who is this course for?
This course requires knowledge of GC or GC-MS.
Special offers (discounts cannot be combined):
- Early Bird: Book at least 12 weeks in advance and receive a 10% discount for any course.
- Student: Discount of 10% for any course (valid student ID card required) if booked at least 4 weeks in advance.
- Group Discount: 4 colleagues from the same company can attend for the price of 3, when attending the same course.
- RSC Member: Discount of 10% for any 2-, 3-, or 4-day course (membership number required) if booked at least 4 weeks in advance.
- ChromSoc Member: Discount of 10% for any 2-, 3-, or 4-day course (membership number required) if booked at least 4 weeks in advance.
- Warwick alumni: Discount of 10% for any 2-, 3-, or 4-day course (membership number required) if booked at least 4 weeks in advance.
- Combine with the other 4 hands-on sample preparation techniques, the 1-day Hands-on Headspace, 1-day Hands-on Thermal Desorption, 1-day Hands-on Pyrolysis and the 1-day Hands-on Purge-and-Trap courses to form the 5-day Hands-on Sample Preparation course for £1699 + VAT.
- Combine with any of the 1-day Hands-on Headspace, 1-day Hands-on Thermal Desorption, 1-day Hands-on Pyrolysis and the 1-day Hands-on Purge-and-Trap courses for a discounted price: 2 days for £830 + VAT; 3 days for £1170 + VAT; 4 days for £1460 + VAT; 5 days for £1699 + VAT.
Quotes from previous attendees
"The hands on element meant the theory learnt made more sense as you could see it put into practice." PhD Student, Open University (April 2015)
"Very good course overall" Senior Scientist, UK Chemicals Company ( April 2015).
"[I enjoyed] the method development theory and getting lots of useful information about how to improve things here." Rebecca Nichols, QC Analyst, Quay Pharma (September 2014).
"[I enjoyed] hands on learning and learning about the various parts of the instrument." QC Analyst (September 2014).
"[I enjoyed] the combination of theory and pratical, as well as the thorough knowledge of the instructors." Analytical Development Scientist (September 2014).
"I enjoyed the way the presenter gave the course. I liked the useful slides and hand-outs." Fatima Al Wahshi, a Research Scientist from the Abu Dhabi Water and Electricity Company, who attended the 3-day course (Aug 2013).
"[I enjoyed] the mixture between the theoretical presentation and hands on the equipment for practical experiments." Celia Laurence, a research assistant from The Open University (Aug 2013).