- Number of days: 4
- Experience level: Intermediate
- Type: Manufacturer-specific; analysts using Scion/Bruker/Varian GC with Scion Compass CDS software
- Teaching method: Face-to-face classroom with practicals in the laboratory
- Course venue: This course is run onsite only - please contact us to book
What will you learn on this course?
The 4-day Comprehensive GC Training course introduces the fundamental theory of GC along with the operation, maintenance and troubleshooting of the Scion/Bruker/Varian Gas Chromatograph using Scion Compass CDS software.
This course includes an introduction to gas chromatography, Scion Compass CDS configuration, an introduction to Compass CDS, data acquisition and data analysis. It will discuss gas supply and handling; split/splitless and PTV inlets; capillary columns; detectors (FID and ECD); the autosampler; PC & data system; creating methods; integration and reporting; quantitation and calibrations; and sequences. This course also covers troubleshooting and maintenance of the autosampler, inlet, column, detector and data systems.
It combines a mixture of classroom based presentations with hands-on hardware and software lab exercises, to give you comprehensive training.
- You will learn the theory of gas chromatography and the importance of good chromatography
- You will become familiar with the Scion/Bruker/Varian Gas Chromatograph and learn about the function & operation of individual GC components
- You will learn the logical steps of instrument troubleshooting
- You will have practical experience of adjusting the parameters and performing maintenance of the GC instrument
- You will review gas supply and gas handling, Varian autosamplers, Varian inlets including split-splitless and PTV, capillary columns, and detectors focusing on FID and ECD
- You will learn about the operation of the Compass CDS software
- You will learn how to undertake installation, set-up and get an overview of the software
- You will learn how to create a GC method on the software
- You will learn how to analyse individual samples and create sequences for analysing multiple samples
- You will undertake qualitative data analysis with a set of data files
- You will undertake quantitative data analysis creating calibration curves and producing appropriate sample reports
Who is this course for?
This course is primarily for analysts and technicians responsible for the operation, maintenance and troubleshooting of Scion/Bruker/Varian gas chromatographs.
Please note the practical exercises will take place on a Varian 3800 GC but the training is suitable for all models of Scion/Bruker/Varian gas chromatographs.
- You can attend all 4 days of the course for a complete training solution. Alternatively, you can attend individual courses for specific training on hardware or software:
This course is run onsite only, please contact us to organise.