- Number of days: 5
- Experience level: Intermediate
- Type: Manufacturer-specific; analysts using Agilent SQ MS with MassHunter
- Teaching method: Face-to-face classroom with practicals in the laboratory
- Course venue: The Open University, Milton Keynes, UK | See individual dates for other venues
- Onsite/offsite availability: Arrange this course just for you
- Scheduled course price: £1520 + VAT per delegate
What will you learn on this course?
The five-day Comprehensive GC-MS Training course introduces the fundamental theory of quadrupole GC-MS along with the operation, maintenance and troubleshooting of the Agilent single quadrupole Mass Spectrometer using MassHunter software.
This course includes an introduction to quadrupole mass spectrometry; hardware configuration; MS tuning; data acquisition in scan and selected ion monitoring (SIM) modes; qualitative & quantitative data analysis; reports; sequencing; and an introduction to deconvolution and retention time locking.
The course will train the operator to perform the maintenance required to ensure the smooth running of the instrument. The course also discusses the principles of troubleshooting by examining the effects of faults in the system on the chromatographic output. This course includes an introduction to troubleshooting and maintenance focusing on tunes & diagnostics, GC considerations, vacuum system, ion source, quadrupole mass filter and MS detector.
It combines a mixture of classroom based presentations with hands-on software and hardware lab exercises, to give you comprehensive training.
- You will learn the theory & principles of mass spectrometry focusing on the quadrupole GC-MS
- You will become familiar with the Agilent single quadrupole Mass Spectrometer instrumentation learning about the function & operation of individual components
- You will gain experience of adjusting the important MS parameters
- You will gain practical experience of performing maintenance of each MS component including vacuum system, ion source, quadrupole mass filter & detector
- You will learn the strategies and gain practical experience of instrument troubleshooting
- You will learn the operation of the MassHunter software
- You will learn installation, set-up and get an overview of the software
- You will learn about the types of tuning methods, undertake air/water checks & an autotune then interpret the results
- You will learn how to create a full scan and SIM method to gain an understanding of each method type
- You will analyse individual samples and create sequences for analysing multiple samples
- You will undertake qualitative data analysis including library searching and deconvolution
- You will undertake quantitative data analysis creating calibration curves and producing appropriate sample reports
- You will have an introduction to deconvolution and learn retention time locking
Who is this course for?
This course is primarily for analysts and technicians responsible for the operation, maintenance and troubleshooting of Agilent quadrupole GC-MS instruments with MassHunter software. This is also the introductory course for those learning the Agilent triple quadrupole mass spectrometer with MassHunter software. Please note that while hands on training will take place on an Agilent 5975 or 5973 the course is suitable for all models of Agilent single quadrupole MSD.
- You can attend all 5 days of the course for a complete training solution. Alternatively, you can attend individual courses for specific training on hardware or software:
Feedback from previous attendees
"Very Informative and intensive with Good communication and interacton." John Stokes, Lab Technician, Zeus Juice (October 2017).
"(I enjoyed) the practicals and knowledge of the instructors." Aristides de Oliveira Junior, FSE, Flow Service, Brazil (October 2017).
"(I enjoyed the) software part, interaction with instruments. Material is very good compared to others. Knowledge of instructors." Renato Peres, FSE Chemist, Flow Service, Brazil (October 2017).
"(I enjoyed) both theory and practical." Sanjay Kumar Patel, Senior Scientist, RSSL (attended 2-day Comprehensive GC-MS Hardware (Agilent SQ MS) course, March 2017).
"I found this course very useful and very good quality compared to other companies." R&D Scientist, contact lens manufacturer (March 2017).
"(I enjoyed) learn GC and Mass Spectrum." Mohammad S. Almutairi, Chemist, The Ministry of Public Works in Kuwait (March 2017).
"Overall course was good, the practical elements were very good. The course is of a very high standard and to be able to deal closely with the presenter is a big advantage." David Mannion, Technologist, Teagasc, Ireland (September 2016).
"(I enjoyed the) practical exercises. I think the course is of a high quality level." Analytical research technician from a university (attended 3-day Agilent MassHunter for SQ software course, March 2016).
"Very comprehensive, covered all aspects. New to MassHunter so all good overall." Senior analyst, forensic services (attended 3-day Agilent MassHunter for SQ software course, October 2015).
"Very good. (Most interesting topic was) qualitative and quantitative reporting" Sein O'Connell, Analyst, Medical Bureau of Road Safety (attended 3-day Agilent MassHunter for SQ software course, October 2015).
"(I enjoyed) basic overview of all sectors and how it advanced throughout the course. How the trainer was able to link everthing to each other." Analyst, forensic services (attended 3-day Agilent MassHunter for SQ software course, October 2015).
"(I enjoyed) gaining a greater understanding of MassHunter." Orla Gogarty, Analyst, Medical Bureau of Road Safety (attended 3-day Agilent MassHunter for SQ software course, October 2015).
"(I enjoyed) improving my skills with MassHunter. It was all useful and interesting." Derek Ness, Managing Director, Applied Polymer Developments Ltd. (attended 3-day Agilent MassHunter for SQ software course, March 2015).
"The best (compared to other courses) - instructor knowledge excellent. Other courses haven't been so good on this point." Scientist, tobacco industry (March 2015).