- Number of days: 1
- Experience level: Beginner
- Type: Generic, applicable to all instrumentation
- Teaching method: Face-to-face classroom, with demonstration
- Course venue: This course is run on demand - please contact us to book
- Onsite/offsite availability: Arrange this course just for you
- Scheduled course price: £250 + VAT per delegate
What will you learn on this course?
This course provides an overview of the history, development and current use of metabolomics in fields such as clinical, environmental, flavour and fragrance and biotechnology applications and its use in method development.
The course opens with a "walk-though" summary of the workflows in a metabolomics study, as an example, and goes on to outline the considerations when designing a metabolomics experiment or study including sampling and quality control, metadata and sample preparation techniques.
The course will provide an overview of different Mass Spectrometry-based instrumentation and other techniques (such as NMR and Infrared) that produce data used for metabolomic analysis.
The course covers data processing and statistical analysis including worked examples using data analysis software. This section will cover processing and preparation of mass spectrometry data and will give an overview of Multivariate Statistical Analysis techniques for Biomarker Discovery, Environmental Analysis, Flavour and Fragrance Analysis and in Method Development. It will go through the different chemometric techniques, methods and tools used for creating and mapping data and includes an overview of the various commercial and freeware software tools available.
The final part of the course goes on to explore the frontiers of metabolomics and advancements in the field.
This 1-day course is ideal either as stand-alone or prior to attending the 4-day Data Analysis for Metabolomics (Agilent MassHunter with GeneSpring Mass Profiler Professional) course.
Who is this course for?
If you have no or very little knowledge of Metabolomics and would like to improve your knowledge in this area, then this is the course for you.
- Beginners - those new to Metabolomics.
- Analysts, Data Analysts or Technicians looking for a refresher in this technique.
- Lab Managers and Line Managers - those who are responsible for the data or the analysts performing data analysis.
- Report Writers - technical specialists who aren't performing the data analysis but are using the results.
- Service Engineers and Consultant Engineers - those who install the software or recommend the use of this technique but don't have the background.
- Those involved in the Sales or Marketing of the software or the technique for sample data analysis - e.g. manufacturers, contract labs, media companies.
Course presenter: this course will be taught by Metabolic specialist Dr Simon Thain.
This course is run on demand - please contact us to book.