- Number of days: 1
- Experience level: Advanced
- Type: Generic, applicable to all instrumentation
- Teaching method: Face-to-face classroom with practicals in the laboratory
- RSC CPD approval: Approved for CPD
- Course venue: The Open University, Milton Keynes, UK | See individual dates for other venues
- Onsite/offsite availability: Arrange this course just for you
- Scheduled course price: £499 + VAT per delegate
This course has been approved by the Royal Society of Chemistry for purposes of Continuing Professional Development (CPD). RSC members receive a discount of 10% for this course (membership number required) if booked at least 6 weeks in advance.
What will you learn on this course?
This one day course begins with the theory of thermal desorption, types of samples that can be analysed using this technique, types of tube packing materials and how to collect samples. This knowledge is then used to create TD methods, collect and analyse samples and experiment with parameters to see the effects.
This course will cover the thermal desorption of gas-phase and solid-phase samples.
- You will learn about and gain practical experience of how to use TD as an automated sample preparation technique for GC & GC-MS in great detail
- You will learn the fundamental theory of TD
- You will learn about the types of samples that can be analysed using TD
- You will learn about and gain practical experience of the various parameters that can be optimised for the technique to improve method robustness and sensitivity
- You will set up and maintain the technique on a live instrument
- You will learn about the individual steps and processes of TD analysis
- You will learn the frequent maintenance and common troubleshooting problems in TD analysis
- You will learn TD tips and tricks
- You will learn about the benefits of using TD in the analysis of your samples
Who is this course for?
This course requires good knowledge of GC or GC-MS.
- Combine with any of the other hands-on sample preparation for gas chromatography and liquid chromatography courses:
- Combine any of the above courses for a discounted price:
- 2 days for £925 + VAT
- 3 days for £1310 + VAT
- 4 days for £1640 + VAT
- 5 days for £1870 + VAT
Feedback from previous attendees:
"This course gave me a good overview of what goes into analyzing with thermal desorption alone and helped to formulate some ideas of how it can be implemented in our laboratory. This course moved at a steady pace, was perfect for a novice. There wasn't anything I was not able to understand and possibly use in the future." Feedback from the Practical Essentials of Thermal Desorption Short Course at Pittcon 2019 (Hands-on Thermal Desorption course but without the practicals).
"Very thorough. Slides are excellent. Good pace." Feedback from the Practical Essentials of Thermal Desorption Short Course at Pittcon 2019 (Hands-on Thermal Desorption course but without the practicals).
"Overall this course was an addition to my initial 5-day course but the extra knowledge & info was great to learn about and gain more understanding into." Jasmin Hunt, Materials Quality Controller, Clean Tech (September 2018).
"Very detailed principles of TD." Sharon Mui Lim, Research Technician, The University of Nottingham (April 2017).
"Very detailed information and useful to receive in a handbook for future reference." Sophie Lester, PhD student, The University of Nottingham (April 2017).
"(I enjoyed) both theory and practical." Sanjay Kumar Patel, Senior Scientist, RSSL (April 2017).
"Gave good depth of knowledge, applicable for all levels of TD users and their applications." Ayesha Naeem, Laboratory Technician, Interteck (March 2017).
"There was a lot of useful content and the advantage of a small group. [I enjoyed] the practical examples that allowed us to take part." Sarah Dunn, Laboratory Technician, Intertek (March 2017).
"I thought the whole day was interesting. It is the first time I'm on a TD course. Both lecturers and practical was useful and instructive. The courses I have attended before it has often been 10-15 people. On this course there were the opportunities to ask questions since we were only 4 people, I think that was very good." Kari Olsen, Senior Engineer, Norwegian University of Life Sciences (March 2017).
"Clear explanation of every TD Aspect. Very useful tips and tricks." Ward D'Autry, Scientist, DSM Resolve (bespoke Hands-on Thermal Desorption training, February 2016).
"Enthusiasm and knowledge of the presenter (Diane). Was a great course." Roy Akkermans, R&D Technican, DSM Resolve (bespoke Hands-on Thermal Desorption training, February 2016).
"(I enjoyed) the freedom to ask specific questions and make sure that the course answered all problems/questions." Lydia Philippen, Assistant Scientist, DSM Resolve (bespoke Hands-on Thermal Desorption training, February 2016).
"Good knowledge and interactive of Diane." Erik Ritzen, Assistant Scientist - Chromatography and MS, DSM Resolve (bespoke Hands-on Thermal Desorption training, February 2016).
"Very good. Slides/knowledge of presenter very good. (I enjoyed the) hands-on samples - getting to see result of real analysis." Chemist, workplace health consultancy (November 2014).
"I enjoyed the hands-on experience gained." Tracy Warr, Laboratory technician at Satra Technology Centre.
"I enjoyed the knowledge of the presenter and the ability to actually see the instrument work." Research technician at a University.
"I enjoyed the way the presenter gave the course. I liked the useful slides and hand-outs." Fatima Al Wahshi, a Research Scientist from the Abu Dhabi Water and Electricity Company (August 2013).
"[I enjoyed] the mixture between the theoretical presentation and hands on the equipment for practical experiments." Celia Laurence, a research assistant from The Open University (Aug 2013).