- Number of days: 1
- Experience level: Advanced
- Type: Universal, applicable to all instrumentation
- Teaching method: Face-to-face classroom with practicals in the laboratory
- RSC CPD approval: Approved for CPD
- Course venue: The Open University, Milton Keynes, UK | See individual dates for other venues
- Onsite/offsite availability: Arrange this course just for you
- Scheduled course price: £600 + VAT per delegate
This course has been approved by the Royal Society of Chemistry for purposes of Continuing Professional Development (CPD).
What will you learn on this course?
This 1-day course covers all the essential theory about Solid Phase Extraction (SPE) as a means of sample preparation.
The course will review the different types of SPE processes used for sample extraction including non-polar SPE, polar SPE and ion exchange SPE. It will review different types of sorbents used for each process and understand the chemistry behind the extraction of the analysis.
The knowledge acquired will then be used to determine suitable sorbents for the extraction of a suitable sample, undertake the extraction process and analyse the extracts using GC-MS or LC-MS. The course is designed to increase expertise for users of SPE.
The course will also review the importance of selecting appropriate methods and systems and will conclude with the benefits and uses of SPE within various industries.
- You will learn about the basic principles of SPE including the theoretical and practical considerations
- You will learn about the different types of SPE processes and the advantages and disadvantages of each
- You will learn about the various extraction techniques offered by SPE
- You will learn about the sorbent selection process for different applications
- You will learn about the appropriate SPE methodology for your application and matrix
- You will learn the importance and benefits of SPE such as selective isolation, analyte concentration and solvent conversion
- You will learn the importance of SPE method development and troubleshooting
- You will learn how to practically undertake SPE
Who is this course for?
This course is suitable for all levels of knowledge and is applicable to those preparing samples for gas or liquid chromatographic analysis either manually or using automated systems.