- Number of days: 4
- Experience level: Intermediate
- Type: Manufacturer-specific; analysts using Thermo TRACE GCs with Xcalibur software
- Teaching method: Face-to-face classroom with practicals in the laboratory
- Course venue: Course venue: The Open University, Milton Keynes, UK | See individual dates for other venues
- Onsite/offsite availability: Arrange this course just for you
- Scheduled course price: £1340 + VAT per delegate
What will you learn on this course?
The 4-day Comprehensive GC Training course introduces the fundamental theory of GC along with the operation, maintenance and troubleshooting of the Thermo TRACE Gas Chromatograph using Xcalibur software.
This course includes an introduction to gas chromatography, Xcalibur configuration, an introduction to Xcalibur, data acquisition and data analysis. It will discuss gas supply and handling; split/splitless and PTV inlets; capillary columns; Flame Ionisation Detector; the autosampler; PC & data system; creating methods; integration and reporting; quantitation and calibrations; and sequences. This course also covers troubleshooting and maintenance of the autosampler, inlet, column, detector and data systems.
It combines a mixture of classroom based presentations with hands-on hardware and software lab exercises, to give you comprehensive training.
- You will learn the theory of gas chromatography and and the importance of good chromatography
- You will become familiar with the Thermo Trace Gas Chromatograph and learn about the function & operation of individual GC components
- You will learn the logical steps of instrument troubleshooting
- You will have practical experience of adjusting the parameters and performing maintenance of the instrument
- You will review gas supply and gas handling, Thermo autosamplers, Thermo inlets including split-splitless and programmable temperature vapouriser, capillary columns, and detectors focusing on FID and ECD
- You will learn about the operation of the GC Xcalibur software
- You will learn how to undertake installation, set-up and an overview of software
- You will learn how to create a GC method on the software
- You will analyse individual samples and create sequences for analysing multiples samples
- You will undertake qualitative data analysis with a set of data files
- You will undertake quantitative data analysis creating calibration curves and producing appropriate sample reports
Who is this course for?
This course is primarily for analysts and technicians responsible for the operation, maintenance and troubleshooting of Thermo gas chromatographs.
- You can attend all 4 days of the course for a complete training solution. Alternatively, you can attend individual courses for specific training on hardware or software:
Feedback from previous attendees
"(I enjoyed) being able to get answers from experts." Matthew Kershaw, Research Technician, The Open University (April 2015).
"(I enjoyed) learning how to troubleshoot and maintain the GC." Analytical Chemist, manufacturer of coating materials (April 2015).