- Duration: 2 days
- Experience level: Intermediate
- Course type: Universal, applicable to all instrumentation
- Teaching method: 50% face-to-face classroom and 50% practical exercises in the laboratory
- Course venue: See individual dates for venues
- Onsite/offsite availability: Arrange this course just for you
- Scheduled course price: £1,150 + VAT per delegate
What will you learn on this course?
Spend the first day learning the theory of Inductively-Coupled Plasma - Mass Spectrometry (ICP-MS) and then using this knowledge to prepare and analyse a sample.
The course will look in detail at each component of ICP-MS and ICP-MS/MS instrumentation, followed by a practical exercise in developing an ICP-MS method. This will lead into method optimisation and using this knowledge to analyse samples and change parameters to see the effects.
The course will look at strategies for speciation analysis, and goes on to cover laser ablation and imaging techniques. This is followed by learning about data analysis and applying this understanding to analyse data and interpret the results.
The maintenance required for each section of the instrument will be covered along with recognising the signs of when maintenance is needed, with practicals in performing maintenance.
In the final part of the course, you will learn how to go about troubleshooting ICP-MS instrumentation, what problems can occur, and how the components are affected by problematic samples, with real problem solving on the instruments.
- You will learn the theory behind the technique of Inductively-Coupled Plasma Optical Mass Spectrometry (ICP-MS)
- You will gain practical experience of strategies for observing potential isobaric interference
- You will learn about sampling techniques for ICP-MS
- You will learn about the function & operation of the individual ICP-MS components
- You will learn about the function & operation of the individual ICP-MS/MS components
- You will have practical experience of developing an ICP-MS/MS method
- You will have practical experience of adjusting each of the ICP-MS parameters
- You will have practical experience of optimising method parameters for speciation analysis
- You will have practical experience of Laser Ablation-ICP-MS analysis
- You will have practical experience of presentation of Mass Spectrometry Imaging (MSI) data
- You will have practical experience of analysing ICP-MS data
- You will recognise the areas of the instrument requiring maintenance
- You will learn the signs of when maintenance is required
- You will learn the strategies for ICP-MS instrument troubleshooting
- You will have practical experience of performing maintenance on each ICP-MS components
- You will have practical experience of ICP-MS instrument troubleshooting
Who is this course for?
This course is suitable for all levels of knowledge; however for complete beginners it is advisable to attend the 1-day Absolute Basics of ICP-OES & ICP-MS first to get a good basic overview of the technique.