- Duration: 1 day for face-to-face | Total of 6.5 hours over 2 days for Virtual Classroom course
- Experience level: Beginners
- Course type: Generic, applicable to all instrumentation
- Teaching method: Face-to-face OR online via live video, with instrument parts and consumables to see
- RSC CPD approval: Approved for CPD
- Scheduled course venue: The Open University | Other venues | Virtual Classroom
- Online/onsite/in-house/offsite availability: Arrange this course just for you
- On demand availability: Available
- Scheduled course price: £250 + VAT per delegate
- Course discount: RSC and CAMS members receive a 20% discount on this course in 2020*
This course has been approved by the Royal Society of Chemistry for purposes of Continuing Professional Development (CPD).
What will you learn on this course?
This is a perfect introduction for absolute beginners to liquid chromatography and LC-MS. The course will cover the what, why, where, when and how of LC & LC-MS.
- What is liquid chromatography, mass spectrometry, a HPLC or LC-MS?
- Why do we use liquid chromatography? How could it help solve problems and what answers could it give?
- When do we use liquid chromatography? What types of analytes and samples can you use LC for?
- How does liquid chromatography work? and what instrumentation is available?
- Where do we use liquid chromatography? Which applications to answer what questions?
- You will learn about the different types of chromatography
- You will understand the definitions of liquid chromatography and mass spectrometry
- You will learn the principles and components of the liquid chromatograph
- You will learn about the principles and components of the mass spectrometer
- You will learn the purpose and principles of data analysis
- You will learn about different sampling techniques for LC
- You will learn about a number of industries and their application of LC
Who is this course for?
- Beginners - those new to Liquid Chromatography or Mass Spectrometry.
- Analysts or Technicians looking for a refresher in these techniques.
- Lab Managers and Line Managers - those who are responsible for the instruments or the analysts using them.
- Data Analysts and Report Writers - technical specialists who aren't using the instruments but are using data from them.
- Service Engineers and Consultant Engineers - those who look after or recommend the use of these instruments but don't have the chemistry background or chemistry viewpoint.
- Those involved in the Sales or Marketing of these instruments, their consumables or their use for analysis - e.g. manufacturers, contract labs, media companies.
This course is ideal either as stand-alone or prior to attending the Practical Essentials of HPLC & LC-MS, Complete HPLC & LC-MS, Hands-on Complete HPLC & LC-MS or one of our manufacturer-specific Comprehensive courses.
*Discount applicable when booked at least one month in advance (for Face-to-Face courses) or 24 hours in advance (for Virtual Classroom courses), membership number is required. Discounts cannot be combined and are only applicable to courses both organised and run by Anthias Consulting Ltd.
- Royal Society of Chemistry (RSC) members receive a discount of 20% for this course in 2020
- Community for Analytical Measurement Science (CAMS) members receive a discount of 20% for this course in 2020
How to book this course
Feedback from previous attendees of Virtual Classroom course
"I've enjoyed that the machinery and some parts of the instruments were shown and described (photos and real-life on the tutor desk). I've liked taking part in solving the problems with the instructor at the end of the course and talking about real-life examples, where HPLC can be used and what can be tested with it. The slides were very neat and clearly presented with a good amount of images and graphs added." May 2020.
Feedback from previous attendees of Face-to-Face course
"It was a very good refresher for me personally." John Adey, Scientist, Environment Agency (February 2018).