- Duration: 5 days for face-to-face | Total of 34 hours over 9 days days for Virtual Classroom course
- Experience level: Intermediate
- Course type: Generic, applicable to all instrumentation
- Teaching method: Face-to-face OR online via live video
- RSC CPD approval: Approved for CPD
- Scheduled course venue: The Open University | Other venues | Virtual Classroom
- Online/onsite/in-house/offsite availability: Arrange this course just for you
- Scheduled course price: £1120 + VAT per delegate
- Course discount: RSC and CAMS members receive a 20% discount on this course in 2020*
This course has been approved by the Royal Society of Chemistry for purposes of Continuing Professional Development (CPD).
What will you learn on this course?
The Complete HPLC & LC-MS course is built from the Practical Essentials of HPLC & LC-MS and the HPLC & LC-MS Clinic courses to provide a complete training solution enabling you to understand your Liquid Chromatograph or LC-MS instrument, application method development, troubleshooting & maintenance.
This course covers all the practical theory you need to know about liquid chromatography and its related techniques including liquid chromatography-mass spectrometry. Mobile phase optimisation including gradient elution, pumps and plumbing, autosampler injection techniques, sample preparation, calibration standards, data analysis for quantitation and qualitative analysis are discussed.
It also looks at how to develop appropriate application specific HPLC & LC-MS methods and the set-up and optimisation of instrumentation. Finally the steps required to maintain and troubleshoot the system, problem chromatography and mass spectra are covered. Advanced techniques are discussed and their application to difficult samples requiring optimal limits of detection and linear dynamic range. HPLC to UHPLC method transfer is touched upon, chromatographic deconvolution utilising tandem mass spectrometry, multi-dimensional LC (LCxLC), on-line SPE and chemometrics.
- You will learn the importance of good chromatography.
- You will learn how to select an appropriate mobile phase and develop gradient elution methods.
- You will learn about various autosampler injection techniques and when to use them.
- You will learn how to select an HPLC column (stationary phase and dimensions).
- You will learn the operation and selection of an appropriate HPLC detector.
- You will learn about the principles and components of the mass spectrometer.
- You will learn about sample preparation, calibration standards and sample properties.
- You will learn how to undertake data analysis for quantitation and qualitatitive analysis.
- You will learn strategies for HPLC and LC-MS method development.
- You will learn about system optimisation and configuration for HPLC and LC-MS.
- You will get an introduction to LC & MS advanced techniques.
- You will recognise areas requiring maintenance on the instrument.
- You will learn the logical steps of instrument troubleshooting.
Who is this course for?
The Complete HPLC & LC-MS course is for those who have basic knowledge of liquid chromatography and would like to greatly enhance it, learning the practical theory about all available HPLC & LC-MS techniques.
For complete beginners it is advisable to first attend the 1-day Absolute Basics of HPLC & LC-MS, as you may be overwhelmed by the amount of information on this course.
You can attend the Complete course all at once or, learn about the techniques in the Practical Essentials course, go back to the lab to implement the knowledge and then join us at a later date to attend the more advanced HPLC & LC-MS Clinic course.
If you would like to improve your knowledge in a particular area you can choose to attend individual days and modules from the Complete HPLC & LC-MS course.
*Discount applicable when booked at least one month in advance (for Face-to-Face courses) or 24 hours in advance (for Virtual Classroom courses), membership number is required. Discounts cannot be combined and are only applicable to courses both organised and run by Anthias Consulting Ltd.
- Royal Society of Chemistry (RSC) members receive a discount of 20% for this course in 2020
- Community for Analytical Measurement Science (CAMS) members receive a discount of 20% for this course in 2020
How to book this course
Feedback from previous attendees of Face-to-Face course
"The HPLC & LC-MS training was good and I enjoyed it because I have learnt a lot." Emmanuella Mambi (November 2019).
"[I enjoyed the] level of detail information presented." Andrew Bamford, Assistant Scientist, SSCl Environment Agency (May 2019).
"Useful discussion. Better material and knowledge of the instructor is helpful. [Most interesting topic:] How to optimise the method." Muath Aljeaid, Chemical Engineer, National Company for Mechanical Systems (May 2019).
"Professional, high quality delivery, keep track on time. My previous experience with HPLC courses is not as great as to time and quality." delegate who attended the HPLC & LC-MS Clinic (May 2019).
"The instructor is aware of all the LC-MS spectrometry. I found in this course useful materials." (May 2019).
"[I enjoyed] developing an understanding of the applications and function of the equipment." George Bryant, Lab Technician, The Open University (October 2018).