- Duration: 5 days for face-to-face | Total of 32.5 hours for Virtual Classroom course
- Experience level: Intermediate
- Course type: Universal, applicable to all instrumentation
- Teaching method: Face-to-face OR online via live video, with instrument parts & consumables to see, case studies to solve & chromatograms to troubleshoot
- RSC CPD approval: Approved for CPD
- Scheduled course venue: The Open University | Other venues | Virtual Classroom
- Online/onsite/in-house/offsite availability: Arrange this course just for you
- Scheduled course price: £1575 + VAT per delegate
- Course discount: RSC and CAMS members receive a discount on this course*
This course has been approved by the Royal Society of Chemistry for purposes of Continuing Professional Development (CPD).
What will you learn on this course?
The Complete HPLC & LC-MS course is built from the Practical Essentials of HPLC & LC-MS and the HPLC & LC-MS Clinic courses to provide a complete training solution enabling you to understand your Liquid Chromatograph or LC-MS instrument, application method development, troubleshooting & maintenance.
This course covers all the practical theory you need to know about liquid chromatography and its related techniques including liquid chromatography-mass spectrometry. Mobile phase optimisation including gradient elution, pumps and plumbing, autosampler injection techniques, sample preparation, calibration standards, data analysis for quantitation and qualitative analysis are discussed.
It also looks at how to develop appropriate application specific HPLC & LC-MS methods and the set-up and optimisation of instrumentation. Finally the steps required to maintain and troubleshoot the system, problem chromatography and mass spectra are covered. Advanced techniques are discussed and their application to difficult samples requiring optimal limits of detection and linear dynamic range. HPLC to UHPLC method transfer is touched upon, chromatographic deconvolution utilising tandem mass spectrometry, multi-dimensional LC (LCxLC), on-line SPE and chemometrics.
- You will learn the importance of good chromatography.
- You will learn how to select an appropriate mobile phase and develop gradient elution methods.
- You will learn about various autosampler injection techniques and when to use them.
- You will learn how to select an HPLC column (stationary phase and dimensions).
- You will learn the operation and selection of an appropriate HPLC detector.
- You will learn about the principles and components of the mass spectrometer.
- You will learn about sample preparation, calibration standards and sample properties.
- You will learn how to undertake data analysis for quantitation and qualitatitive analysis.
- You will learn strategies for HPLC and LC-MS method development.
- You will learn about system optimisation and configuration for HPLC and LC-MS.
- You will get an introduction to LC & MS advanced techniques.
- You will recognise areas requiring maintenance on the instrument.
- You will learn the logical steps of instrument troubleshooting.
Who is this course for?
The Complete HPLC & LC-MS course is for those who have basic knowledge of liquid chromatography and would like to greatly enhance it, learning the practical theory about all available HPLC & LC-MS techniques.
For complete beginners it is advisable to first attend the Absolute Basics of HPLC & LC-MS, as you may be overwhelmed by the amount of information on this course.
You can attend the Complete course all at once or, learn about the techniques in the Practical Essentials course, go back to the lab to implement the knowledge and then join us at a later date to attend the more advanced HPLC & LC-MS Clinic course.
If you would like to improve your knowledge in a particular area you can choose to attend individual days and modules from the Complete HPLC & LC-MS course.
If you don't have time to attend the full course all at once, you can learn about the techniques in the Practical Essentials course, go back to the lab to implement the knowledge and then join us at a later date to attend the more advanced HPLC & LC-MS Clinic course.
If you would like to improve your knowledge in a particular area, you can choose to attend individual days. With Virtual Classroom training, you can choose to attend individual modules.
- Practical Essentials of HPLC & LC-MS
- Module 1: Practical Essentials of Liquid Chromatography and LC-MS Introduction
- Module 2: Practical Essentials of Mobile Phases & Pumps in HPLC & LC-MS
- Module 3: Practical Essentials of Sample Introduction in HPLC & LC-MS
- Module 4: Practical Essentials of LC Classification, Columns & Theory
- Module 5: Practical Essentials of LC Detectors
- Module 6: Practical Essentials of Data Analysis for HPLC & LC-MS
- Module 7: Practical Essentials of Mass Spectrometers in LC-MS
- Module 8: Sample Preparation, Calibration Standards and Sample Properties for HPLC & LC-MS
- The HPLC & LC-MS Clinic
- Module 9: Applied Method Development & Optimisation for HPLC & LC-MS
- Module 10: An Introduction to Advanced Techniques in HPLC & LC-MS
- Module 11: Applied HPLC & LC-MS Maintenance
- Module 12: Applied Troubleshooting for HPLC & LC-MS
How to book this course
Feedback from previous attendees of Virtual Classroom course
"The fact that it covered a lot of topics and allowed to review and learn a little bit of everything that involves the use of these type of techniques and equipments." Feedback from The HPLC & LC-MS Clinic, July 2021.
"Brilliant, very informative." Mollie Nero, Project Scientist, Broughton Nicotine Services (February 2021).
"Section on troubleshooting and method development was very good, instructor was very knowledgeable. Content was clear and easy to follow." November 2020.
"Detailed explanation on each modules by the instructor. Very well organised and a complete package. I can't cite any topic that instructor had not touched when it comes to HPLC/LC-MS." Alka Choudhary, Research Analyst, Pfizer (October 2020).
"Very in-depth and good level of detail with good quality notes provided in advance." October 2020.
"The easy interaction with Dr. Giles and the clear way he addressed my questions. The practical notes added and examples provided which helped understanding the concepts." October 2020.
Feedback from previous attendees of Face-to-Face course
"The HPLC & LC-MS training was good and I enjoyed it because I have learnt a lot." Emmanuella Mambi (November 2019).
"[I enjoyed the] level of detail information presented." Andrew Bamford, Assistant Scientist, SSCl Environment Agency (May 2019).
"Useful discussion. Better material and knowledge of the instructor is helpful. [Most interesting topic:] How to optimise the method." Muath Aljeaid, Chemical Engineer, National Company for Mechanical Systems (May 2019).
"Professional, high quality delivery, keep track on time. My previous experience with HPLC courses is not as great as to time and quality." delegate who attended the HPLC & LC-MS Clinic (May 2019).
"The instructor is aware of all the LC-MS spectrometry. I found in this course useful materials." (May 2019).
"[I enjoyed] developing an understanding of the applications and function of the equipment." George Bryant, Lab Technician, The Open University (October 2018).