- Number of days: 1
- Experience level: Advanced
- Type: Universal, applicable to all instrumentation
- Teaching method: Face-to-face classroom with practicals in the laboratory
- RSC CPD approval: Approved for CPD
- Course venue: The Open University, Milton Keynes, UK | See individual dates for other venues
- Onsite/offsite availability: Arrange this course just for you
- Scheduled course price: £650 + VAT per delegate
This course has been approved by the Royal Society of Chemistry for purposes of Continuing Professional Development (CPD).
What will you learn on this course?
This one day course is spent learning the theory of static and dynamic headspace and how to modify samples to improve results, then using this knowledge to create HS methods, analyse samples and experiment with parameters to see the effects.
This course will cover static and dynamic headspace.
- You will learn about and gain practical experience of how to use Headspace as an automated sample preparation technique for GC or GC-MS in great detail
- You will learn the fundamental theory of Headspace
- You will learn about the types of samples that can be analysed using Headspace
- You will learn about and gain practical experience of the various parameters that can be optimised for the technique to improve method robustness and sensitivity
- You will set up and maintain the technique on a live instrument
- You will learn about the individual steps and processes of Headspace analysis
- You will learn the frequent maintenance and common troubleshooting problems in Headspace analysis
- You will learn Headspace tips and tricks
- You will learn about the benefits of using Headspace in the analysis of your samples
Who is this course for?
This course requires good knowledge of GC or GC-MS.
- Combine with any of the other hands-on sample preparation for gas chromatography and liquid chromatography courses:
Feedback from previous attendees
"Overall this course was an addition to my initial 5-day course but the extra knowledge & info was great to learn about and gain more understanding into." Jasmin Hunt, Materials Quality Controller, Clean Tech (September 2018).
"(I enjoyed) conversations with (the) instructor on various topics throughout the day." Andrew Webb, Analytical Chemist, DSTL (bespoke 1-day Headspace course, January 2017).
"Practical experience in the technical aspects of the techniques." PhD Student, UK University, (October 2015).
"A balanced mixture of relevant information and practicals." David Saunders, Laboratory Chemist, SI Group-UK ( October 2015).
"Useful to see results of analysis." Chemist, workplace health consultancy (November 2014).
"[I enjoyed] the method development theory and getting lots of useful information about how to improve things here." Rebecca Nichols, QC Analyst, Quay Pharma (September 2014).
"[I enjoyed] hands on learning and learning about the various parts of the instrument." QC Analyst (September 2014).
"[I enjoyed] the combination of theory and pratical, as well as the thorough knowledge of the instructors." Analytical Development Scientist (September 2014).
"[I enjoyed] the way the presenter gave the course. I liked the useful slides and hand-outs." Fatima Al Wahshi, a Research Scientist from the Abu Dhabi Water and Electricity Company (Aug 2013).
"[I enjoyed] the mixture between the theoretical presentation and hands on the equipment for practical experiments." Celia Laurence, a research assistant from The Open University (Aug 2013).